Sunday, July 17, 2011

FEARLESS MUMBAIKARS KEEP THE CITY TICKING

I happened to be in the local train at Dadar Railway Station on 13 July, 2011 just when the blasts shook a few meters outside the Station.  I came to know of this when I reached Ghatkopar, as I was called from my office colleague enquiring about my location.  Memories of previous bomb blasts and attacks on Mumbai haunted like a recap to my mind.  I thought it may be some other instance of serial attack on local trains or markets in Mumbai.  I heaved a sigh of relief that I was safe and was feeling equally guilty about this feeling.  As I reached Dombivli, I came to know of the exact news.  So scared was I that I rushed past the crowded station and reached home.  I felt relief to see that not much damage was done.  I may sound insensitive at this point, but only a Mumbaikar will understand the crazy pangs faced by him or her after each time, such an attack takes place.

I remember my engagement date which was one day before the August 25, 2003 bomb blasts at Gateway of India.  I used to have a stroll at the Gateway of India quite near my office near my lunch hours.  My first call came from my fiancée then, now my wife that whether I was safe.  This was our first conversation after our engagement.  Fortunately, I did not go to office that day, as I was in Kalyan for filing my Income Tax Returns.

It reminded me of the14 Mar 2003 Mulund blast.  At least ten commuters, including four women, were killed and 70 injured in an explosion near the first class ladies compartment of a local train in Mumbai.  The incident occurred when the train was entered Mulund station around 2045 IST on Thursday.  I happened to be in the train right behind the attacked train and was not even aware when the incident happened, as my train passed through Mulund.  It was only after I reached Thane that I got the news and managed to reach home after a very scary moment in the train.
The 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings were a series of seven bomb blasts that took place over a period of 11 minutes on the Suburban Railway in Mumbai, capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the nation's financial capital.  It was evening time past 18.00 hrs.  I came to know of this around 19.00 hrs when my train was crossing Dadar.  People around were talking of the serial blasts like a running commentary.  Some were gossiping, some were shouting, some were laughing but deep within all of them including me, there was a lurking fear that some bomb may explode from under our seats leaving our life to nothing.  I thought about my parents, my dear wife and prayed all along that nothing should happen to this train.  It is easy writing a blog in a secure environment and expressing bravado.  But at such times of distress, when we are involved in the thick of things, we fear for our life.  We call our friends, relatives, neighbors, check whether all are safe and try to rest in peace.
During the month of November, 2008, I always came home by the 21.30 Dombivli semi-fast local from CST due to work pressure.  It was sheer coincidence that on November 26, 2008, I felt very tired in office and decided to leave immediately after 1800 hrs only to know later that there was a terror attack in CST Railway Station at around the same time when I took the Dombivli local for home.  The action then shifted to the Taj right behind a few meters from our office.  We were scared and I did not go to office the next day too.
The disturbing fact I wish to convey through my above experiences is that people in Mumbai have begun to use the date of bomb blasts as a reference point for some occasion. 
During this bomb blast, I was here.  During that bomb blast, I was there.
 The only consolation was that locals and buses plied on time during such emergencies and people kept moving to prevent commotion.  Chest beating and angry outbursts look good only in movies, but when you encounter an unknown enemy, it is better to behave in a sane manner. 
In that context, I find the people of Mumbai to be the most fearless and warm amongst all the cities in India.  People who come from outside India are the best judge as they testify to this fact that Mumbai embraces all people with generosity unparalleled.  The attacks on North Indians and solitary instances of harassment are breaking news only in the media, but everyone feels safe and secure in the city as the community stands more and more united with each passing attack.  The Zaveri Bazar, where places of worship of various faiths co-exist is the best example to this fact.  Despite being prone to multiple attacks, communities in Zaveri Bazaar never doubted each other and stay united.  People have become more vigilant and equally united.  It is only in the world outside that people wedge enmity and look at these attacks through the narrow confines of religion. 
Life moves in Mumbai not because they are insensitive but we have to earn our daily bread and butter.  Day before yesterday, when I was in my usual morning commute reading a Marathi Novel in a densely crowded train, a middle-aged man standing right next to me collapsed suddenly and fell down.  People around suddenly rushed and made him get up.   Those who were sitting vacated their seats and made way for him to sit and offered him water.  It put a smile in my face that everything is right in Mumbai.  Mumbai may appear tough in the exterior but deep inside it is very sensitive and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment