Saturday, May 7, 2011

AMMA

 


3-2 by sureshmiyer
MY MOTHER SULOCHANA 




My Amma, born in Kaattumanarkoil, Tamil Nadu came to Dombivli near Mumbai in the 1960s with no knowledge of Marathi as my father used to work in Mumbai.  Educated upto SSLC in Tamil Medium alongwith Typewriting and Shorthand, it is always fascinating to hear Amma’s stories about life in a chawl at Dombivli where everyone else spoke Marathi.  Even for buying groceries or vegetables, Amma used to show the things and speak in broken English to get things done.  Appa spent the whole day in office, so it was left to Amma to manage the house.  Today Amma speaks Marathi better than the Maharashtrians and is more Maharashtrian than a Tamilian.  Amma has a fantastic memory and always have some or other tales right from her childhood to date.  She is excellent in General knowledge and can chat on any topic right from Osama Bin Laden to the neighborhood water problem.  Amma spoke things from the heart and never knew how to be diplomatic.  She sometimes falls into trouble due to this.  At the same time, she is very sensitive but can never hide anything from others.  Amma is among the old residents of Dombivli and knows all areas in and out.  Everyone likes to call her by the name “Amma” right from the librarian to the milk shop owner to the rickshaw wallah. At the age of 62, Amma does all the house hold work, buys groceries from outside and attends to even banking work.  She is a master in managing finances even though she never writes down anything.  With age, Amma is becoming insecure of her life and is losing her sleep.  Dombivli has also become urbanized and people in the locality have also changed and not as warm as in Amma’s younger days.  She always loves to live life to the fullest.  I always fight with Amma and have a tendency to take her for granted.  I need not say “Thank you” to Amma, as it is a special Bond that goes beyond saying “Thank you.”  Even today, Amma takes care of my belongings as I was in my younger days.  I am not ashamed to say that I am a mama’s son.  It is always a pleasure to take money from Amma for buying things I like.  Amma has never gone to work or much educated, but she is the comforting factor for all of us.  It may come as a surprise for others, but even today, I do not know Amma or Appa’s birth date.  We have been brought up in such a way that there was not show of celebration in house but pure joy.  Speaking of Amma always bring tears to my eyes, it is too personal a bond that I cannot ever explain in words.  I wish God to give strength to Amma to be as active as ever and be a comforting presence in my life.


Always an AMMA's Son
Suresh

No comments:

Post a Comment